1.26



She took a hesitant step forward. "Bug...Kaylee? Is it really you?"
Everything seemed to move in slow motion for Kaylee. She looked at the woman standing there and could vaguely remember a sight, a sound, a smell. Her voice. She remembered that voice reading to her, singly softly as they baked cookies in the kitchen, laughing as they danced in the rain. Without realizing it Kaylee was racing down the stairs and through the gate. Her grandmother met her half way.



"It is you," she whispered in her ear as her frail arms wrapped around her in a surprisingly strong hug. "I knew it was you the moment I walked around the house and saw you climbing up the stairs. You have your daddy's profile. And his walk. He always used to do that 'leading with the chin walk' when he was nervous." Kiki pulled back and placing her hands on Kaylee's shoulders studied her.
"Look at you. You're gorgeous. You look just like your mother."
Kaylee hid a wince and smiled and she gently cupped her grandmother's face. "I'm glad that I found you. You don't know how glad I am."
"Umm...I'd hate to be rude but who is the guy standing behind you staring at us?"
"Oh!" Whipping around Kaylee motioned for Ty to come closer. Grinning widely he placed his hand on the small of her back and absently began to massage it as he held out the other hand to her grandmother."
"Ma'am. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm-"
"Boy, put that hand away and give me a hug. I can see those matching rings now. You're family."

Ty gave her a gentle squeeze then started to straighten. She gripped his shoulders and leaned forward.
"That last sixty yard throw blew me away. I was on the edge of my seat worrying that you were going to be sacked or that the play was going to be intercepted. Your receivers are amazing and that tail end has got some good foot action. With your arm I think we can make it to the Bowl game this year."
Ty blinked in amazement before he started to laugh. Kiki winked at him before reaching out a hand for Kaylee. Smiling at the two of them she gave Kaylee's stomach a pointed expression.
"So, I'm going to be a great-grandma soon?"
"In about three months or so," Ty said proudly.
Kiki finally seemed to notice the rain and ushered them into the house.

" id="It's not much," she said by way of apology as they stood in the foyer.
Not much, Kaylee thought in dismay. There wasn't anything there except for a small folding table and two lawn chairs. The plaster was peeling and the floor boards were cracked and uneven. Out the corner of her eye she saw Ty's eyes narrow as he reached up to rub the back of his neck.
"Let's go upstairs. That's where I spend most of my time anyways. Heat rises and all and that's were the radiator is. Umm...just give me a moment. I wasn't expecting company and I just want to straighten up a bit."
"Nana, we don't care about that."
Kiki's eyes teared up when Kaylee called her nana but she cleared her throat and blinked. "Just give me a minute." She rushed up the stairs.
As soon as Ty felt she was out of hearing distance he opened his mouth but Kaylee forestalled whatever he was going to say with a finger pressed to his mouth.
"I know. She can't stay here. But let's take one thing at a time okay?" He nodded as he pressed a kiss to her fingertip.
"Did I tell you how proud I am of you?"
"What? Shut up!" she said blushing.
He laughed. "I am. No matter how it turns out you did the right thing in finding your grandmother."
They fell silent when Kiki called for them from upstairs.

"Sooo..."Ty said as he looked around then cleared his throat. "I'm going to go get some fresh air. I have my cell on me if you need me so...yeah, I'll be outside."
"You don't have to-"
Kaylee patted her grandma's knee as Ty slipped out the door. "He's giving us some time to ourselves. Cherish it because Ty loves to hover. That's one of the things that I love and dislike in him."
"He's a good man. I can tell he makes you happy. How long have you two been married?"
"I thought you were a fan of his?" Kaylee said curiously.
"I am. Of his professional life. I could care less about about his personal but now I know I should have. I would have known where you were all this time. Speaking of which...where is Janet?"

Kaylee popped up quickly. "I remember this picture!"
Kiki gave her a strange look as she joined her.
"Yes, I remember this picture as well. Who do you think took it? You had just learned how to do cartwheels and I thought for sure that you were never going to walk anywhere again."
She laughed softly as she reached out and traced the edge of the frame. "This is the only picture that I was able to save after the fire. All your father's baby pictures were burned and I must say he was the cutest baby."
"He was a good looking guy."
"Yes, yes he was. But it wasn't just his looks. His personality is what drew people to him. He and Janet were so much alike yet at the same time so different. Sometimes I used to wonder what would happen if one lost the other. They had such a strong bond...and then Terry died and Janet...I worried about her."
Kaylee rubbed her stomach absently as she stared down at the picture. Her version was faded and wrinkled but this version...she could see the happiness shining out of her parents eyes.
"Kaylee? What's wrong?"
Turning Kaylee sighed. "I guess you have to know."
"Know what?"
And so Kaylee told Kiki about her childhood, about Janet...about everything.



There was a tense silence as Kiki stared down at her feet before turning to where Kaylee had sat down beside her. "I didn't know. I swear I didn't know. If I would have I would have done everything in my power to find you. I wouldn't have left you there. I, my God, I never thought that Janet could be so heartless. So cold. She was never like that."
"Well you said you used to wonder what would happen...Janet turned into someone that no one would recognize. I guess to distance herself from the past she just became someone else."
"She could have come to me. She could have left you with me if she wasn't going to take care of you. How could she do something like this to her own child? To MY grandchild?"
Kiki's hands curled on her thighs before she got up from the couch. Where before there had been a bounce in her step, she know walked like an old woman as she stood in front of the window.

"Can you forgive me?"
Startled Kaylee moved to the other end of the couch to stare at her grandmother as she stared out the window. "Forgive you for what?"
"For letting Janet take you away. For not trying harder to find you. For not protecting you, or my son, from the Wells family." Her fist clenched behind her back.
"I knew how powerful they were but I did nothing to prevent my son from falling in love with their daughter. And I stood by, complacent, as the man who murdered my son, and destroyed my home, walks around as if he's the pillar of the community. So, I ask you again...can you forgive me?"

Phoenix  – (February 12, 2009 at 11:52 PM)  

Sorry for the short chapter! My computer was acting crazy! For whatever reason it didn't want to stay booted up! So, I have to do some fiddling and see what's up!

There were alot more shots I wanted to take and this chapter was heading in a different direction but I wanted to get this out for y'all! *sigh* So figure me if this chapter sucks! LOL!

Also, I've added a twitter link on the sidebar to keep everyone updated of progress or what not! So yeah, that's it! Until next time!

Anonymous –   – (February 13, 2009 at 2:34 AM)  

I've just started reading this story yesterday and it's very engaging. I like the subplot about the aliens.

On a side note, I don't know if you can do this in blogspot, but you should think about using something livejournal's lj-cut. I have a fast internet, but it still slows to a crawl when your main page loads because there's just too many images. It wouldn't hurt the story at all, and it would make it easier for people to read your stories. Just a thought.

Great job again! Can't wait for the next chapter.

Anonymous –   – (February 13, 2009 at 2:58 AM)  

What a cool grandma! I love how she's sorry even though she didn't do anything wrong. It's a good thing Kaylee went to see her.

I should probably think of something more relevant to say but... I'd forgotten how hot Terry was :)

(P.S. This is Dinuriel, btw. I'm just too lazy to log in right now, lol)

Phoenix  – (February 13, 2009 at 4:07 AM)  

Thanks Followingwords! Glad you enjoyed it! *smacks forehead* I do it for my other blog I don't know why I don't do it for this one! It would make it soooo much easier! *tsk* Sometimes I have no sense...okay...MOST times!:P

Next post I'll def do it! Although now that I'm thinking about it I just might do it for all my older post as well! LOL!

Anyways, glad you enjoyed it! I'm working on the next chapter now since I didn't particular care for this one! haha!

Phoenix  – (February 13, 2009 at 4:10 AM)  

Dinuriel, you're like me! I realize it a little late though when I use a different screen name!:P

I know right? Grandma is really cool...although she was cool back in the day too sooo...she just didn't lose it! ;) I think she was hoping that Janet would do right by her kid. I mean, seriously, who would do something like that to a kid? And now she feels like she should have tried harder...

LOL! Sometimes I'll be taking pictures and I'm struck by how hot or pretty one of the characters is myself!

Thanks for reading!

Penelope  – (February 13, 2009 at 7:49 AM)  

Look at you, just Twittering away! heehee I tried to stay up last night to catch the chapter immediately but I dozed off like a punk.

Yay, Nana is coming home with Ty and Kaylee! They're really starting to amass a full house over there. Soon they'll have people spilling over into their other house too. :p I wonder what kind of adjustment that's going to be for them because neither of them is used to living with more than two other people.

Oh and for some reason, the chapter is behind the like twice. I don't know how to make expandable summaries so I don't really know how to explain the problem except that it looks like the chapter was copied and pasted a second time.

Phoenix  – (February 13, 2009 at 9:49 AM)  

Thanks for point that out Pen! This is why I should NOT do stuff when I haven't gone to bed yet!:P

I know..that twitter is addictive...just pop over type in something and go back to what I was doing!:P Haha! Yeah, punk! I can't believe you feel asleep at a decent hour!LOL!!

Hmm...I guess I never did show a full look at the house huh? Cause that house is HUGE so it wouldn't be any worries...although they will have adjustments!

Once again thanks for pointing that out! I don't know why it does it here but not on my other blog...goes off to fiddle with it some more!:P

cheripye  – (February 13, 2009 at 1:45 PM)  

Oh what a tense and heartbreaking yet loving chapter! I am so glad that Kiki and Kaylee have found eachother, and somehow I dont believe that Kay will blame her or not forgive her.

Ty is still such a sweet charming young man! I absolutely adore him. Love his steady companionship. Perhaps their household will be increasing even more now.

I hope that you computer starts acting better and soon. 80)

Phoenix  – (February 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM)  

Thanks Cherie! So far so good! I was able to update on my other blog sooo...*crosses fingers*

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. I felt as if it wasn't one of my best but as long as someone enjoys it I'm happy! :)

How did the link work for you Cherie? No double posting showing right? I think I have the right code in my template now!

Anonymous –   – (February 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM)  

wooowowoow kiki is the best nana ever i just caught up :o my nana was kinda off and wasn't so nice but she was hilariously evil

good chapter and your other story awesome! i don't have time to comment both but work calls *crys* :( fridays are suppose to be break day


good luck with your computer they are assholes when your nice to em =P

cheripye  – (February 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM)  

Nope no double posts, 80) and the writing was spot on, forgot to comment on the stunning screens as well. 80)

Anonymous –   – (February 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM)  

YAY!!!! Kaylee does have normal not psycho super soap opera selfish family! and Gma looks like she was a hottie herself at one time. Will we get more info on the Wells family? They sound like a story in its own. God reading this is like a soap minus the annoying kind of camera they use to film them. So addicting.

Just out of curiosity how far down the dark path would you allow it to go if at all. Like will we ever see retribution (i think thats how u spell it) for Kaylee's dad's murder?

Phoenix  – (February 13, 2009 at 9:07 PM)  

LOL! Drey, that sounds like my gram! Not hilariously evil...just...ya know...grandma!! Haha!

Ohh..no worries! I'm glad that you're enjoying both! Friday's break day?! Never!! That would be too much like right!

Ugh! Don't I know it! I think it's the monitor! It keeps saying no signal right when I'm in the middle of something! :(

Phoenix  – (February 13, 2009 at 9:07 PM)  

Cool! Thanks Cherie! Now I just have to go back and correct the other posts! LOL!

And thanks for the comments on the screen!

Phoenix  – (February 13, 2009 at 9:10 PM)  

LOL! Oh gosh! I can't stand soaps! I used to watch one back in the day but even that got annoying after awhile but I have friends that swear by them!:P

Kiki was hot! I have a younger pic of her on the family tree link. And that's actually her. I just extracted her from the other hood and aged her up!

Yep, Kaylee will face the Wells, there will be a showdown and Mother will be...well, I can't give it ALL away!! :P

S.B.  – (February 14, 2009 at 9:01 AM)  

Great, engaging, and touching. Kiki is certainly a hands-off grandmother to let Janet pull all of that on her; I'm sure she would have snatched up Kaylee if she'd known what was going on.

Interesting little bit of foreshadowing (is it?) about Kaylee's father.

Wonderful update! Full of emotion and the shots are beautiful!

Phoenix  – (February 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM)  

Beth, if Kiki would have known what was going on there is no doubt in my mind she would have snatched up Kaylee but not before giving Janet a piece of her mind!

LOL! Yep...it's foreshadowing! ;)~

Emily  – (February 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM)  

What a great reunion! Nana is definitely the kind of grandma that everyone wants, I'm sure Kaylee will have no problems forgiving her. Not that there is really anything to forgive. :D

Can't wait for more, wonderful update!

thewynd  – (February 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM)  

I knew I would like Kiki. I think she and Kaylee are finding each other at a very good time. My heart aches for the conditions she lives in but I know that Kaylee and Ty will remedy that.

It would seem Kiki knows a great deal about Terry's fate. She must have felt so powerless to do anything up to now.

Kiki cracked me up spouting football to Ty!

Phoenix  – (February 15, 2009 at 9:10 AM)  

Thanks Emily! I know...my gram would have just been like, "get over it and move on!" LOL! No, there's nothing to forgive but sometimes we feel we could have changed circumstances if we'd tried a little harder. That's how Kiki is feeling!

Phoenix  – (February 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM)  

LOL Gayl! Ty never gets enough fandom so I thought why not?!

No doubt! The house I have now is big enough for six or eight people to live comfortable sooo...naturally Kiki will resist but never fear! Ty will wear her down!:P

Yep! I'll be delving into that more in the next few chapters!

S@n  – (February 15, 2009 at 9:58 AM)  

Awww that was a very touching encounter!!!
In the second picture, I just have to love Ty in the background, he looks so happy and cheerful!!! He really is a wonderful person!!!

It's really sad to see that Kiki is living in such conditions but I know Ty and Kaylee will help her... I, like Gayl, also think Kiki and Kaylee found each other in the perfect moment, I'm glad Kaylee told her everything, there was no point in hiding the past from Kiki we all know that sooner or later Janet will come back and make a mess again.... so Kiki would have found out what kind of person Janet is...

I love Kiki talking about the game!!! lol those small details are what keep your story so real!!!

Wonderful chapter as always!!!

Phoenix  – (February 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM)  

LOL! Thanks Sandy! I think you're the only one that caught that! That's my homage to Dirty Dancing! One of my all time fav movies! In the last scene there's this guy that always has me and my sis cracking up! Haha!

I know...but she was never rich to begin with sooo...I think she's going to be uncomfortable when/if she moves in with Kaylee and Ty.

I can totally see Kiki as a football fan!

Thanks Sandy!

Anonymous –   – (February 27, 2009 at 9:20 AM)  

Wonderful chapter - with great dialogue :-) I could imagine that I was just sitting in that room, just listening as Kaylee and her grandma re-connected

Since I'm reading through your chapters at an increased rate, I can see that your writing just got better and better...

Phoenix  – (February 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM)  

Thank you! I cringe when I go read over my earlier post(to make sure I don't leave any loose ends...well ends that aren't supposed to be loose) and I itch to fix something. Get Kaylee to say something she should have said, switch out pictures! LOL! But I don't because then I'd just change the whole dynamics!

Thank you for the compliment!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP