1.1

Kaylee was pulled from her memories by the sound of Janet moving around in her room. Perched on top of the kitchen counter she glanced out the window hoping to see the bus coming around the corner. She heaved a sigh when she all she saw was an empty stretch of road. Hearing the bedroom door open she stilled and silently willed Janet to breeze by the kitchen as she usually did but like always whatever Kaylee wanted to happen the opposite did.
"Freaking Murphy's Law," she muttered under her breath when Janet appeared in the doorway.


There was a moment of silence as each stared at the other then Janet rolled her eyes."How many times do I have to tell you to stay off the damn counter?"
Uncrossing her legs, Kaylee let the heels of her sneakers bang loudly against the cabinets, hiding a grin as Janet tried, and failed, to hid a wince. Kaylee watched as she absently rubbed her forehead and that gesturing telling her what she already knew. Once again Janet had a hangover. She didn't know why knot of disappointment lodged in her chest. Janet without a hangover was like the kids at school not talking about her.
"I don't know mom," she said in reply to the earlier question. "It's not like this kitchen gets much use anyways." Shrugging she glanced out the window once again as she slid off the counter. These little conversations with her mother never did either one of them any good. She still didn't see the bus however, it was her turn to grimace, as she noticed a man hanging around in front of the house.
"Looks like you have company," Kaylee sneered then watched in disgust as Janet fluffed her hair and sauntered outside and down the sidewalk. Turning away from the window when the man yanked Janet toward him, Kaylee suddenly remembered the book that she had borrowed from her teacher and had finished last night. Rushing back to her room she grabbed it from her nightstand and headed back out front.

"Good Lord," she muttered as she picked up her pace and rushed outside. It was just getting worse and worse. At one point in time she hadn't known what Janet had done for a living. There were the rumors of course but Kaylee had thought they were just that, rumors, until she had stumbled on a scene that no child should ever have to see. Janet hadn't seemed to care, as a matter of fact, she had snapped at her to get lost and Kaylee had done just that. She hadn't returned home for hours and when she did she had went straight to bed. She had been twelve at the time.

With a small sigh she stood outside as she waited for the bus to come and idely thought on how Janet and her relationship had changed. They had had so much fun together. She still didn't know what had changed it. For as long as she could remember it had always just been the two of them. Janet never talked about her parents and the one time Kaylee had asked about her own father she had been lectured on minding her own business and staying out of business that didn't concern her.
Hearing the sounds coming from the house she wished two things. One, that she had her MP3 player and two, that the freaking bus would hurry up! Flicking her gaze down the road again she sucked her teeth as she saw another man loitering by the mailbox. She was just about to tell him to get lost when she heard the sound of her mother's heels as she sashayed by her. She greeted the new man with a tinkling laugh.




Glancing down at her watch Kaylee frowned then hit her forehead in frustration. Of course! She had forgotten about stupid daylight savings time. She could have saved herself the embarrassment of seeing Janet's early morning sexcapes if she would have remembered to set her clock back an hour! "Oh brother," she said as she plopped down in the grass and leaned back. There was no way she was going back into the house. She would just wait right here for another thirty minutes. A small smile pulled at her lips as she started to find shapes in the clouds. She and Janet had spent hours doing this when she was little. Blinking rapidly she cleared her throat. Never look back, she reminded herself sharply. Looking back was for fools and the priviledged.


She didn't know how long she laid there before getting bored and deciding to go sneak back into her room through the window to avoid seeing anything that she didn't want to. Getting up she dusted off her pants and started to walk around the side of the house.
Kaylee couldn't help but flinch as she watched the man hand her mother some cash then, after a brief passionate kiss, walked away without a backward glance.

"What in hell do you think you're doing?" Janet snapped as she shoved the money down the front of her dress. "I thought you had school today."
Kaylee couldn't stop staring at the money that was peeking out the front of Janet's dress. It was almost as if it was taunting her. Reminding her of who her mother had been and who she was now. "I do. The bus hasn't come yet," she replied tonelessly.
"What are you staring at?" Janet asked then following her gaze snorted. A sneer pulled at her mouth as she shoved the money out of sight. "Don't act like you didn't know where the money came from that puts food in your ungrateful mouth. Hell, I...we could make twice as much if you would dress up a little bit. I told you that I would..."
Kaylee couldn't hear whatever else her mother had to say through the buzzing in her ears. She can't mean what I think she means, she told herself but deep inside she knew. And the fragile hope that she had kept locked away, the one where she hoped her and her mother...Janet, might someday have a normal relationship was shattered. And she couldn't stop the tears from leaking out of her eyes.
Burying her face in her hands she heard Janet's snort of derision then felt a sharp poke on her shoulder. "Your bus is here. You'd better hussle your ass."



Anonymous –   – (September 19, 2008 at 11:46 AM)  

1. Your link confused me for a bit because I excpected it to go straight to the story and it went to your prologue that didn't have any dialoge.

2. I like your story. Already I feel something for the main character; embarrassment, sympathy, rage for her mother.
Good job with that.

Though I have to admit that the format of your story confused me. You seemed to have pictures above the paragraphs and some below that should have been reversed. There were some run on sentences that would have helped with the break up of pictures... I hope I'm making sense.

All in all, I enjoyed reading it and I hope you don't think that I'm being bitchy by pointing out some things. Just some constructive critisim but if it bothered you, please let me know and I'll zip it for next time.

Anonymous –   – (September 19, 2008 at 3:39 PM)  

No, no! Keep the constructive critisim coming! LOL! That way I know what to fix and what not! Thanks! And I'm glad you like you liked the story!:D

cheripye  – (September 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM)  

Very good premise for a story.
There are some definate powerful emotions. You did an excellent job of pulling me (the reader) into your main characters shoes. Eliciting the raw emotions, of sympathy, heartache and anger as well as others.

There were a few run on sentences, but nothing too severe.

Cant wait to see where you go with this.

Phoenix  – (September 20, 2008 at 9:04 PM)  

Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate the feedback! I'll try to fix the run on sentences in my next update!

cheripye  – (September 20, 2008 at 9:17 PM)  

One final question do you mind if I link to your blog? I dont know that I get many readers. But Hey 80)

S.B.  – (September 21, 2008 at 4:38 AM)  

I had no difficulty at all in following either the prologue or the first chapter after that. You do NOT have to use text for every shot -- or even for every chapter -- to get your point across. It's a creative process. Do what you want to do.

Gorgeous shots -- clear, stunning angles and you captured every emotion I think you intended to grab.

Grammar is sort of individual. I have to admit I use broken sentences. Paragraphs that aren't really. It's prose so again, do what you want.

The story line is completely gripping. I hope I have an opportunity to follow it!

Phoenix  – (September 21, 2008 at 6:38 AM)  

No Cheripye I don't mind at all if you link! Sorry so later getting back to you! I work nights so I was on my way out of the house when you posted!:)

Thank you Beth! I'm glad you enjoyed it! LOL! Yeah, I mesh my words together in real life and speak in parenthesis(but who doesn't?) LOL! I already HAD chapter two ready but then I was getting ready to doze off and had inspiration so I had to reshoot! It'll be up in the next day or two!:)

Anonymous –   – (October 2, 2008 at 4:34 PM)  

i love your characters. may i ask if you have credits for clothes, makeup, hair, etc? thanks. (:

Phoenix  – (October 3, 2008 at 6:58 AM)  

Brittany, thanks for stopping by! As for your question I've been writing down and organizing where I get everything so I can put it here. I should have it up by the end of the day!

:)

S@n  – (October 3, 2008 at 5:36 PM)  

again your pictures are great, very clear, very nice ... and Janet, what a gorgeous sim!!! Beautiful!!!

Kaylee is a very intriguing character, typical teenager, love her clothing and her hair, her own style...

the relationship with her mother, well, confusing.. I wonder where things went wrong too, they seemed very closed in the prologue, but that's how life works, you don't even notice the changes till everything has changed...

I'm really enjoying the storyline... you have done a great job capturing the different emotions of your character...

Great job!!

Phoenix  – (October 3, 2008 at 5:45 PM)  

Thanks Sandy! Yeah, I love Janet's look...it's her personality I can't stand! I wanted her looks and personality to be completely different.

As for the change in their relationship...I plan to explain that in the next chapter!

KDSGS  – (October 6, 2008 at 1:06 PM)  

Very intriguing beginning, your characters are well structured.
That is some mother!
Good show of emotions.
Well done!

Phoenix  – (October 6, 2008 at 1:55 PM)  

Thank you! I'm glad my mom was never like that! LOL!

Anonymous –   – (October 18, 2008 at 12:47 PM)  

Hi Baby Sis,

I absolutely love, love, love the characters. I don't want to repeat everything that has already been said, so I will just say that I agree with all the positive feedback. Your characters are both beautiful and realistic looking. Absolutely gorgeous. Good work.

Anonymous –   – (November 2, 2008 at 12:36 AM)  

Oh, Phoenix this is wonderful! Both of your main characters are very beautiful! I know Janet is a horrible mother, but she has an angelic face, if you made her Kudos! She is GORGEOUS!

Again, you captured with your pictures some very intense emotions and moments. I really liked the subtleness of the mother's activities in the house, while Kaylee was waiting outside, very well done!

Your writing is FANTASTIC! You definitely drew me in from the very first moment. I felt every emotion that Kaylee felt and I was drawn to her sorrow and disappointment after what her mother suggested. :(

FABULOUS story! :wub: :rah:

Phoenix  – (November 2, 2008 at 5:14 AM)  

Thanks Zayury!! Yes, I did make Janet! I fiddled around with her face in CAS but I didn't realize she was going to be so pretty until I got a close up of her face! I was surprised and then sad because I had to make her so evil! haha!

Yeah, I didn't want to make it TOO obvious what was going on. Not my style! LOL! And thank you for the wonderful compliments! I have to say...I read Twist of Fate yesterday and was hooked! LOL! You're a WONDERFUL writer!

Emily  – (December 13, 2008 at 10:52 AM)  

Finally back again playing catch up!
This was a really good beginning and I liked the way the prologue flowed into this as you were mentioning the way their relationship used to be. So sad, and disgusting! Her mother wants to turn her into that too! :(

Did you fix any of the writing on this one because I found no run on sentences and I am a grammar, etc. freak! :D

(Then again, some people can't read unless it looks like this:

Kaylee: Mom, you are gross!
Janet: No, you are Kaylee!

LOL, okay silly example but I think your writing is fab!)

Phoenix  – (December 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM)  

LOL!!!! I'm sitting in the airport and I seriously busted out laughing when I read your example!! Sad thing is I've seen stories like that! And no...I didn't fix anything...mostly because I couldn't find what to fix! *shrug* So glad that you're enjoying the story so far! I can never say this enough...I'm having a blast writing! I was up last night writing things in my notepaf for several chapters! LOL!! I still have to check out your other story Emily!

Anonymous –   – (February 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM)  

I just stumbled on your blog and this is more than a year behind, but I like what I've read so far.

Phoenix  – (February 25, 2009 at 7:16 AM)  

LOL! It doesn't matter! I'm just glad that you're liking it!

Anonymous –   – (April 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM)  

I'm trying to start a story legacy too, so I went to others, and I LOVE yours. Any tips on how to start off? And how did you get Janet to hold the money when she hugged that guy?

Phoenix  – (April 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM)  

Oh gosh! Thanks so much! What kind of legacy are you wanting to start? Like a story legacy or a commentary legacy?

I started off with a different beginning in mind. Instead of the whole this is our founder type thing(at least for this story!) and went from there.

Also, what EPs and SPs do you have? I can give you some hacks that I use(ed) for certain poses and lead you in the general direction of more.

Above all else, have fun with it. Don't make it a chore. And don't force something when you're not happy with it!

For the money using moveobjects on I guided it toward Janet and it stuck to her hand. And I thought I HAVE to use that! Some of the good poses comes from just random every day Sim stuff! You can email if you have any questions! :)

Anonymous –   – (April 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM)  

A story legacy. Definitely. I am NOT at all a very funny person (have you read katu-sims livejournal by the way? She's hilarious!).

I have all of the EPs and SPs. I think. I got this complete collection thing from China (only 10 bucks, can you believe it?), but I haven't installed it yet, so I'm not sure if it works. I'll try it this weekend.

You are a wonderful writer, and if you have any story ideas for me, please let me know. I basically have two characters I like to use a girl (her name is Caramel Candy xD) just out of college or a boy just out of college (football star).

By the way, what's your e-mail?

Phoenix  – (April 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM)  

Okay...now do you have a story line in mind? Or do you plan to wing it as you go?

Thanks so much! I just fell into writing Sims 2 stories. I've always loved to write and combining the two is A LOT of fun!:)

My email is merlynsflame@aol.com. Just email with any questions you may have! I'm happy to help!

Anonymous –   – (April 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM)  

No, but I think I better, so that it doesn't come tumbling down. Just a big story arc I can work with as I go along. Any ideas?

And your welcome and thank you.

Phoenix  – (April 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM)  

Hmm...what do you feel comfortable writing? Drama, romance, horror? All? That kinda narrows your choices down with what your comfortable doing and not doing.

Also, what age are you wanting to start out at? You said college...maybe something happens in college that has a huge impact on their life and comes back to haunt them? They get bit by a werewolf and have to keep it secret? Vampire? Witch? See! There are SO many possibilities especially with you having all the games!:)

Anonymous –   – (April 9, 2009 at 10:23 PM)  

I'll write anything, but I never really thought about romance. I'm not sure if that makes me want to do it, or not want to do it.

College is good. And I like that. Any other ideas? I'd love to combine them.

Oh yeah, from your earlier post, I very much would like to see some of the hacks you have.

Anonymous –   – (April 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM)  

Eeeek!!
It didn't work! The Installation didn't work!! Wish me luck! My mom's going to be so pissed if I wasted 10 dollars...

Phoenix  – (April 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM)  

Ugh! Let me know if the installation works! I see you're having troubles on the LJ! That so sucks!

Emilia  – (June 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM)  

Im so confused,is Janet the mom???

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP